Place Brand Observer Panel Insights
The ‘Place Brand Observer’ @PlaceBrandOBS
recently published the thoughts of its global
panel of place branding specialists on trends to
watch for in 2021.
Two major questions were raised:
- “What will post-pandemic travel look like?”
- “Will we commit to travelling more sustainably, or will we just return to an unsustainable ‘normal’?”
TCN’s Tom Buncle sits on this panel and reports there is a general feeling of optimism, but also
concern about many post-COVID challenges.
Some key takeaways from the panel:
● Impact on the year ahead: Managing the effects of COVID-19 will be a key issue
throughout 2021, both in terms of ensuring adequate health protocols and reviving
● Risk to sustainability: Social and environmental sustainability will face a risk from
short-term planning to boost economic activity in pursuit of fast economic recovery. This
should not be an ‘either – or’ choice. All three are needed for healthy and competitive
communities and destinations.
● Staycations: Local tourism will increase, owing to the concerted effort by governments to
kickstart economic recovery and ongoing health concerns about international travel.
● Climate change: Destinations will come under more pressure from citizens and businesses
to mitigate the effects of climate change, especially in terms of tourism impact, and
ensuring places remain liveable.
Panellists’ perspectives can be found at: